What Are Orthodontists & What Do They Do
Do you know how doctors can choose to specialize in certain areas, such as neurology or cardiology, for example?
Well, the same is true for dentists – and orthodontists are the perfect example of that!
Today, the focus is on explaining what an orthodontist is and what they do – plus, we’ll help you find an orthodontist in Calgary!
What Is An Orthodontist?
Orthodontists are University-trained dental specialists who focus on preventing, diagnosing and treating various dental and facial irregularities.
In short, they’ll provide a broad range of orthodontic treatment options, depending on your specific dental issues – whether it’s straightening crooked teeth, fixing misaligned bites or aligning the jaws correctly. In some cases, an orthodontist can help you treat sleep apnea, as well.
What Do They Do, Besides Giving You Braces?
It’s somewhat understandable why so many people hesitate about making an appointment with an orthodontist, even when their dentist recommends them to do so.
When you think of orthodontists, your mind instantly goes to a high school flash-back of yourself getting picked on for wearing braces, doesn’t it?
But here’s the thing:
Orthodontists are your best bet when it comes to correcting teeth and jaw misalignments, which can often result in debilitating problems, and difficulty maintaining proper oral hygiene.
A quick overview should give you a better idea of what it is that an orthodontist does:
- Different types of anteroposterior deviations (the discrepancy between upper and lower jaws), including underbite and overbite
- Overcrowding, or lack of jawbone space, is a widespread dental problem that orthodontists treat
- Diastema, the ample space or gap between two of your teeth
- Various aesthetic issues that can arise as a result of malocclusions (the so-called “bad bite”)
There’s so much more a certified orthodontist can do for you, besides “ruining” your high school years.
Besides, if you ever wore braces, you should probably thank your orthodontist – they helped you get that perfect smile of yours!
Dentist Vs. Orthodontist: Key Differences To Keep In Mind
As mentioned previously, all orthodontists are essentially dentists – but not all dentists are orthodontists.
There are some similarities here – after all, they focus on dental care – but they go about addressing these issues in two very different ways.
So, if you’ve been using the terms “orthodontist” and “dentist” interchangeably all your life, it might be time to stop – and here’s why:
- Both are technically considered dentists, but there’s a difference in their education. Dentists hold a General Dental Degree, while orthodontists complete additional University training after completing their General Dental Degree, specializing in orthodontics.
- Dentists diagnose and treat common diseases that affect teeth and gums, while orthodontists specialize in teeth and jaw alignment.
- Only an orthodontist has the training needed to fit you with corrective braces, and other similar dental devices safely and adequately.
One Step Closer To A Perfect Smile
Okay, now you have a better understanding of what an orthodontist is and what they do, so, it’s time to answer one more question you probably have, and that’s:
Where can you find a trustworthy orthodontist in Calgary?
Family Braces Orthodontist is the answer you’re looking for – their expert staff of orthodontists is there to answer all your questions, perform examinations, take X-rays, and inform you about the necessary steps needed to fix your dental issues.
Don’t hesitate; book a free consultation with their certified orthodontist in Calgary today!