Top 10 Herbs for Detoxifying Liver and Kidney
The kidneys and the liver play a vital role in maintaining good health. Both the organs function together to remove waste materials from the body and the failure of either of them is usually fatal, unless a transplant can be arranged. Continuous exposure to toxic chemicals and pollutants can result in the liver and kidneys being overworked and often failing after a particular age.
Several wholesome methods are available for a thorough and healthy detox cleansing of these harmful toxins. One of the easiest and most natural ways to do so is to use herbs and plants found in nature. The medicinal effects of these herbs have plants have been known for millennia, and their use is completely safe when performed in moderation. Let’s go over the top ten herbs to detoxify the liver and the kidneys in the list below.
1. Silybum Marianum (Milk Thistle): The most significant herb which supports efficient liver functioning, it is recommended for those suffering from any liver ailment. It is known to reduce the harmful effects of alcohol consumption on the liver. Milk thistle is particularly effective at countering the side effects of high dose medication on the liver. A component called silymum in Milk Thistle also helps promote liver cell regeneration.
2. Majority of the herbs utilized in cleansing the kidney have a slight diuretic effect. Unlike artificially manufactured diuretics, herbal remedies are mild on your body and don’t result in dehydration if used properly. They also have an antibacterial effect and leave a soothing sensation. Urtica dioca (stinging nettle) is one such well known weed. Such weeds not only help in soothing the lining of urinary tract but also eliminate excess fluid. However, some useful vitamins and minerals are also lost.
3. Dandelion is probably not a very popular weed. Also known as Taraxacum officinale, it is difficult to believe its medicinal usefulness. The flowers and leaves are used as additives in salads in the form of a tonic and a mixture of its root and leaves have medicinal effects. Its antioxidant properties are well known along with its high mineral and vitamin content. Dandelion’s positive properties are used in cleansing of the kidneys and the liver. Its leaves are highly beneficial for the kidneys while the roots help in increasing the bile of the liver to clear harmful toxins. Care should be taken not to take dandelion leaves in high doses, as it can be a very strong diuretic.
4. Bearberry, also known as Arctostaphylos uva-ursi, is a native of North America and is used for its remarkable medicinal properties. It cleanses the kidneys by acting as a potent diuretic. The herb is used in treating infections occurring in the kidney and bladder as it works as a natural antibiotic. The leaves of Bearberry possess the majority of its medicinal properties and are safe for consumption in moderate amounts. The best form of use is in the form of a tincture. Ideally, 10 to 20 drops in water taken thrice a day is recommended.
5. Barberry: Barberry, or Berberis Vulgaris, is traditionally used to enhance liver function in order to encourage bile flow in the liver. It works as an excellent spleen remedy as it helps in combating gall-bladder inflammation and helps dissolve gall stones.
6. Gravel root: Gravel root is a prominent diuretic that enables the removal of waste by assisting in eliminating toxins along with supporting kidney functions. Gravel roots along with hydrangea can be used to treat several kinds of urinary infections.
7. Burdock root is a cholagogue and a blood cleanser which helps in detoxifying both the kidneys and the liver.
8. Artichoke: Artichoke is a type of herb which is chlorogenic, neochlorogenic and rich in cynarin, which protects the liver as well as lowers the cholesterol level in blood.
9. Schizandra Chinensis: Schisandra is normally a supporting additive in herbal detox mixtures. It contains lignans, which protects the liver by activating enzymes for producing glutathione. Glutanthione works as an antioxidant.
10. Licorice Root: Licorice stimulates the adrenal glands to secrete cortisol. Cortisol increases the water and sodium retention capacity of the kidneys, and hence regulates blood pressure. Moreover, cortisol is a known regeneration hormone. Its effects extend not only to detoxing the kidneys, but the entire body.