The Clean Cleanse Diet- Part 3: General Rules of the Diet
General Rules to Follow while on “Clean Cleanse” Diet
1. The Twelve- Hour Window
Dr.’s Junger’s clean program recommends a 12 hours break in the daily eating plan. This break begins after the evening shake, and it lasts until the morning shake. So, if you have your evening shake at 7pm, you should have your morning shake at 7am or later. This Twelve-Hour Window is actually the chance given to your body to go into deep detox mode. 8 hours are needed for a full digestion and the other 4 are for the deep clean. During these twelve hours, you can have water or herbal teas only.
2. Fight back the Emotional Eating
For a lot of people, food is not just about satisfying the physical hunger, but satisfying the emotional needs as well. Most of us tend to eat more while we are stressed, or depressed, or scared. Some fill the emotional emptiness with food. But whenever we feel an unjustified craving, we should find the deeper motivation of that feeling.
During the Clean Cleanse Program, it is possible to feel the unjustified sensation of “hunger” more often. Most of the time, this sensation is not true hunger. It often comes from boredom, restlessness, unhappiness, negativity etc. Analyzing what we really feel, can help us see the difference between true hunger and emotional hunger. Finding the real reason of the hunger can stop the cycle of bad habits that lead to food cravings, weight gain, and poor health.
Ways to fight the Emotional Hunger
- Hydrate: Drinking water or tea may fool the sensation of hunger. Hydrating keeps the bowels moving and helps flush out released toxins.
- Find something else to do: Go for a walk, call a friend, write a letter, finish a work project, watch a movie etc. Anything that can keep your mind busy and your stomach away from food is perfect! If you manage to control your hunger, the negative sensation change may be changed with a pleasant sensation: you’re in control.
- Eat/snack mindfully or not at all: Whenever you eat, eat mindfully, in a distraction-free environment. This is the way to determine your mind to be aware that you have eaten and that you are full.
- Check in on your daily caloric intake: Often, people new to a cleanse program will under-eat, and this can cause cravings, anxiety, and poor sleep. Eat at least 1200 calories and 50-90 grams of protein each day. If you feel constantly hungry throughout the day, increase the amount of protein and healthy fats in your morning shake and mid-day meal.
3. Exercise Gently and Rest More
The Clean Cleanse Program recommends physical exercise. Light movement is encouraged. Each day, you can try 20 minutes of walking, 30 minutes of yoga, or a few sets of body weight exercises like sit-ups and push-ups. Exercising helps you remove the toxins by activating the lymphatic system and it boosts the effectiveness of all the elimination channels by stimulating bowel movements (colon), encouraging deeper breathing (lungs), and making you sweat (skin). The advantage is that, if you move more, you can eat more.
4. More Elimination = More Cleansing
Ways to encourage the elimination of the toxins:
- Exercise and do saunas;
- Try the dry skin brushing;
- Use organic care and beauty products;
- Boost your lymphatic circulation with movement, massage, rebounding (mini-trampoline), jump-roping, and deep breathing;
- Laugh each day; it helps alkalize the body and releases the stress;
- Drink a lot of water to boost the kidney function;