The 5 Best Yoga Exercises for Weight Loss
Losing weight requires lots of efforts and dedication. Also, several ways have been proved beneficial for weight loss. Starting from eating healthy foods to the exercise, all these have their role in helping to lose weight.
Although weight loss is more of eating healthy and mentally prepared than physical activeness, so, adding healthy diets and a positive mindset with the exercise can help in a better way to reach weight loss goal.
In addition, if we talk about exercise, then yoga exercises have been proved more beneficial to achieve a weight loss goal.
So where to start?
That is why in this article you are going to learn about the best yoga exercises which can be easily performed at home.
What are the Best Yoga Exercises for Weight Loss?
- Boat Pose
Boat pose is an excellent yoga pose to lose weight and stubborn belly fat. This pose helps in reducing weight by improving digestion and toning abdominal muscles.
It also helps to strengthen the hip muscles and lower back muscles and improves core balance and posture by balancing on the tripod of the sitting bones and tailbone.
How to do Boat Pose?
- First, lie flat on the ground and keep both hands near to both sides of hips.
- After that, inhale and slowly lift the upper body and legs, keeping the hips on the ground.
- Bring both the parts of the body to form a V shape.
- Keep the hands straight and parallel to the ground and with each other as well.
- Make sure to keep the lower abdomen firm, and not too thick and hard.
- Stay in the position for 10-20 seconds (or as long as you can).
- Regulates the function of kidneys and pancreas.
- Helps to relieve stress and boosts focus and concentration.
- Strengthens hip flexor and spine.
- Regulates menstrual cycle.
- Four-Limbed Staff Pose
This pose builds strength to the upper body and core bodies such as arms, wrists, lower back, and the abdominal muscles. In this, the body are kept parallel to the ground and supported by the toes and palms. It makes the body posture similar to practicing a plank which leads to feeling the pressure to the arms and abdominal muscles. As a result, strengthens the arm and abdominal muscles and helps to lose weight.
How to do Four-Limbed Staff Pose?
- First, lie flat on the ground with downward-facing.
- Then perform plank pose making outer edges of the shoulders in the same line with middle fingers.
- While breathing out, bring the torso and upper arms parallel to the ground.
- Next, inhale and stretch from the heels to the head.
- Look ahead in front and straight.
- Hold the position for 20 – 30 seconds.
- Builds strength and flexibility to the significant body organs like arms, legs, abdomen, etc.
- Develops core strength and stability.
- Helps to build muscles in the back, shoulders, and arms.
- Surya Mudra
The term “Mudra” is a hand gesture used during meditation to direct the energy flow from the brain to a specific body organ. When synchronized with the breathing increases the flow of Prana in the body.
Surya means “sun,” which is associated with heat. Practicing Surya mudra increases the fire element, which produces heat in the body that results in a loss in body weight and obesity. There are other mudras as well that have been developed to lose weight and obesity.
Surya mudra also decreases the earth element, which is associated with the fat.
How to do Surya Mudra?
- Stand or sit in a comfortable position.
- Now, bend the ring finger so that the tip of it touches the base of the thumb.
- Press the ring finger with the thumb firmly.
- Make sure other fingers are straight and relaxed.
- Stay in this posture for at least 30 minutes.
- Cures cold and shivering.
- Improves the vision.
- Reduces coldness to the limbs, hands, and feet.
- Cures constipation.
- Upward-Facing dog
Upward-Facing Dog Pose is a powerful pose which strengthens and opens the upper body and chest. It creates tension in the back torso and abdominal. As a result, stimulates the abdominal organs and improves digestion which leads to weight loss.
It also helps to lose weight from both hands by strengthening and toning the arms, biceps, and triceps muscles.
How to do Upward-Facing Dog?
- First lie flat on the stomach with forwarding extended hands and leg extended behind.
- Bring both hands below the shoulders and stretch the legs with the top of feet on the floor.
- Now, inhale and lift the upper body and legs a few inches off the floor.
- Keep the elbows pressed alongside the body and lift the chest toward the ceiling and lookup.
- Also keep the lower abdomen and thighs flat on the floor.
- Hold this pose for 15 to 30 seconds with rhythmic breathing.
- Strengthens the wrists, arms, and spine.
- Firms the buttocks.
- Relieves mild depression, fatigue, and sciatica.
- Frees the lungs and opens the heart.
- Plank Pose
As the plank pose is more focused on balance and strength than stretching. This pose is essential for someone who wants to lose weight from abdominal, arms, and shoulder. It tones the core muscles like abdomen, chest, and lower back and strengthen the muscles in arms, legs, and shoulders.
How to do Plank Pose?
- Lie flat on the stomach.
- Now, bring the hands parallel to the shoulders with palms on the floor.
- While breathing in, push up the body forming a straight line from head to heels.
- Make sure the arms should be perpendicular to the grounds and shoulders should be right above the wrist.
- Feel the pressure at the core, arm, and leg muscles.
- Hold the position for 3 – 5 minutes while breathing normally.
- Develops core strength and stability.
- Prepares the body to do other arms balance exercise.
- Tones the nervous system.
- Reduces back pain.
Yoga has been designed to be practiced by both men and women. There are beginner and advanced yoga exercises which should be learned. By following above home-based yoga exercises, anyone can lose weight.
Although many other exercises that can help in losing weight, but adding yoga exercise daily in the weight loss effort will give you a better result.
Do you have any other suggestion which should be included in the weight loss yoga exercises? Share with us in the comments section below.