Summer Hair Care Guide
The sun is shining, the lakes are finally warm enough to enjoy, and you are fully ready to enjoy your summer. But before you load up the car with coolers and pool floaties, check out this summer hair care guide. It’s easy to forget how damaging summer activities can be on your hair, so keep yours healthy all summer long.
Is Summer Really That Hard on Your Hair?
Yes, summer really can damage your hair and scalp. The increase of heat and sweat can cause dandruff, dry skin, and even hair loss, so it’s important to take the proper precautions when enjoying your summer. If you are already experiencing some hair loss or hair thinning, then you will also want to be extra careful during the summer.
- Use extra conditioner
Your hair might need some extra love to stay hydrated and healthy this summer (just like you). Hair oils, masks, and deep conditioning treatments are a great way to keep your hair from getting dry.
- Keep up on your hair trims
Getting a good trim will help remove any dead ends and keep your hair feeling healthier. You can also ask your stylist for a deep conditioning treatment at your next appointment for bonus points.
- Only wash your hair a few times per week
While this might seem a little weird to suggest, washing your hair too much can dry out your scalp. Your scalp produces nurturing oils that help lubricate your hair and keep your scalp healthy, so be extra cautious not to strip those natural oils away with harsh shampoos and frequent washing.
- Don’t stop your hair growth routine
If you are on a hair journey to grow back your hair or fight back against balding, keep going. It can be tempting to take a break from using your minoxidil or laser hair caps – but your hair growth routine is just as important in the summer (if not more so).
- Protect your hair from the sun
Whenever possible, try to wear a hat to protect your hair from the sun and wear loose hair styles if you need to put your hair up. The sun can damage your scalp and dry out your ends, so don’t skip this step.
These are all great tips to keep your hair healthy and happy over the summer. However, there are a few more things you can try, for summer and beyond to restore and keep hair healthy.
How to Keep Your Hair Healthy all Year Long
Summer will come and go, but your hair routine should stick around all year long. Here are a few things you can implement to enjoy a healthy head of hair for every season.
- Eat nourishing foods like eggs, avocados, greek yogurt, berries, and fatty fish. These foods will help with hair growth and shine, and they are good for you too.
- Get some exercise, every day. Moving your body helps improve blood flow circulation which your scalp loves.
- Reduce your stress with mindfulness and yoga. Stress can cause hair loss and it’s hard on the rest of your body too.
- Try out low-level laser technology if you are suffering from hair loss. This technology is non-invasive, has no harmful side effects, and works within a few months to restore hair loss.
- Avoid using too many heat products and chemicals on your hair. This can damage your existing strands and can cause breakage (no one wants that).
Well, that’s your guide for the summer and hopefully you add a few, if not all of these hair care practices into your hair care routine. Enjoy the summer, but don’t forget to protect your hair too.
About the Author
Tiffany Fuller is a writer with a passion for holistic wellness, working for illumiflow, a revolutionary brand dedicated to helping you fight hair loss.