Reduce Blood Cholesterol through Right Diet
The most effective way to reduce cholesterol level in blood is to eat high fiber diet and avoid or eat saturated fats (of animal origin) and cholesterol rich foods as little as possible. Replace saturated fats with unsaturated (mono and poly unsaturated fatty acids) fatty acids. Select foods with complex carbohydrates and high dietary fibers, which can help in reducing blood cholesterol. Eating diet with high fibers and complex carbohydrates can also keep body weight under control which is an essential component of keeping blood cholesterol within normal limit. Fats of plant origin (such as nuts, oilseeds, etc.) contain high unsaturated fatty acids and low saturated fats and vegetables, especially green leafy vegetables contain high dietary fibers and should be consumed to control or reduce blood cholesterol.
High saturated fatty acids in diet increase blood cholesterol and high unsaturated fatty acids in diet reduce blood cholesterol. It is important to balance the intake of saturated and unsaturated fatty acids to keep blood cholesterol under control, as it is not possible to completely avoid saturated fats and cholesterol in diet. Even vegetable fats contain some amount of saturated fatty acids.
Tips for right food choice to control blood cholesterol:
- Avoid red meat (pork, beef etc.) and egg yolk, which contain high cholesterol and saturated fats.
- Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables (including salad).
- Avoid fast foods, refined and processed foods.
- Restrict eating sweets and artificial sweeteners.
- Avoid carbonated drinks, soft drinks and colas.
- In general fats of animal origin contain high cholesterol and saturated fats and avoid these foods (as much as possible) and foods of plant origin contain high unsaturated fatty acids and low saturated fats and eat these foods.
Some not dietary tips, which help to reduce blood cholesterol:
- Stop smoking.
- Restrict alcohol intake. Alcohol in moderation is good for health, but excess alcohol is harmful and we all know it.
- Reduce stress and relax, do yoga to reduce stress and relax.
- Do regular exercise (preferably aerobic exercise) to keep fit and control body weight.