Five Tips on Buying Organic Food
Eating healthy is an important part of anyone’s diet. With all of the organic choices now it is becoming easier to find and eat healthier but to also eat green. The amount of Americans who eat organic food is relatively low but if these common misconceptions were gone more Americans would start to buy more organic products. Organic food is produced by not using pesticides, chemical fertilizers, or anything else that is changed in the process of growing or added to the product before it reaches the consumer. Not using all of these chemicals is not only better for you but its better for our environment too!
Many people have the perception that organic food is a lot more expensive than regular foods. In traditional supermarkets this may be the case but there are several smart shopping tips to get more bang for your buck.
- Shop at farmers markets. Farmers markets are great is the summer. Not only do they charge less but you are supporting your local economy.
- Buy in Bulk. When you buy in anything in bulk it is always cheaper. When Buying things like grains or beans that don’t go bad it doesn’t matter how long you store them. This is a great option for bigger families.
- What is in season? Buying vegetables and fruits when they are in season is another way to cut the price. This is when you can load up on your favorites! Then the leftovers that you don’t eat you can freeze and save them for the winter months.
- Off Season. When the fruit or vegetable that you want to buy is not in season then buy them canned, frozen or dried.
- Coupons. Keep you eye out in the Sunday paper and you might find so good coupons that are worth cutting out to save some money.
There are lots of ways to save when it comes to buying organic groceries but these 5 tips will be a good place to start. Remember you don’t have to start buying organic everything but every little bit helps. Not everything you read or are told is true. So do your own research and come up with your own ideas about organic foods. Maybe one day you will only be able to buy organic products.