FDA Approved Anabolics and Androgens
The Food and Drug Administration or the FDA is an agency which is under the United States Department of Health and Human Services. This agency plays a very important role in protecting its citizens by controlling and making food security standards and making the pharmaceutical drugs available over the counter.
Anabolic Steroids, also known as Anabolic-Androgenic Steroids, are chemicals which consist of natural androgens that have effects on testosterone. They have the potential to increase the protein present in the cells and helps in maintaining the secondary male characteristics like the growth of facial hair. An Androgen works in a similar way and thus affect the masculinity level.
This article provides a complete list of all the androgens and anabolic steroids that are approved by the FDA of United States.
The following formulations have testosterone present in them:
- Topical Gels such as Androgel, Fortesta, Testim and Testosterone (generic)
- Topical Solutions such as Axiron and Testosterone (generic)
- Transdermal Patches such as Androderm, Testoderm (discontinued), Testoderm TTS (discontinued) and Testosterone (generic)
- Intranasal Gels such as Natesto
- Buccal Tablets such as Striant
- Pellet Implants such as Testopel
Along with the testosterone mentioned above, the ester prodrugs mentioned below are available in the form of oil which are used for intramuscular injections. The prodrugs are:
- Testosterone Cypionate (Depo Testosterone and Testosterone Cypionate)
- Testosterone Enanthate (Delatestryl, Testosterone Enanthate)
- Testosterone Undecanoate (Aveed)
There were certain formulations which have been discontinued now but were available previously. They were:
- Testosterone Propionate
- A combination of Estradiol Cypionate and Testosterone Cypionate
- A combination of Estradiol Valerate and Testosterone Enanthate
- Oral Testosterone Undecanoate
The names mentioned below are different types of Synthetic AAS:
- Oral, Buccal and Sublingual
- Fluoxymesterone which comprises of Android F, Halotestin and Ora-Testryl
- Methyltestosterone which comprises of Android 5, Android 10, Android 25, Metandren, Oreton, Oreton Methyl, Testred and Virilon
- Oxandrolone which comprises of Oxandrin
- Oxymetholone which comprises of Anadrol-50
Most of the names mentioned above have been discontinued. Along with names mentioned above, ethylestrenol and stanozolol have also been discontinued.
- Intramuscular Injection:
- Nandrolone Decanoate which consists of Deca Durabolin.
The intramuscular injection which has been discontinued is Drostanolone propionate and nandrolone phenylpropionate.
The Weakly Androgenic Progestins available which have side effects in women are given below:
- Danazol which has Danocrine as an example
- Norethisterone Acetate which has Aygestin and Norlutate as examples
The progestin which was discontinued in USA was Ethisterone.