Lose half a kilogram per day with DUKAN DIET – a four steps diet
The Dukan Diet is a high protein eating plan, designed by French nutritionist Pierre Dukan, which promises of helping dieters to lose up to half a kilogram a day. During Dukan Diet, the daily calories intake is up to 1600 calories/day.
The diet is based on the major types of foods eaten by the primitive man: mostly meat and vegetal protein. Only 100 foods are allowed within the diet – 72 of these are animal-based and 28 are plant-based, grouped as follows:
- meat and offal
- dairy products
- vegetable “proteins”- konjac, oat bran, tofu
There are four phases through the diet: attack phase, cruise phase, consolidation phase, stabilization phase.
This phase lasts 5-10 days depending on how much weight you need to lose and for how long you will be following this phase. The first days are always the hardest as you will be fighting with your old eating habits. There is a list of foods allowed for this phase and you can eat as much as you want as long as you are under 1600 calories/day, eating foods which are on the list.
You should be eating at least 3 meals a day, with good portion sizes. Since water is very important to avoid dehydration, you have to drink over 1.5 liters per day. Your daily diet should include 1.5 tablespoons of oat bran per day – as porridge, with yogurt, in muffins or pancakes. 20 minutes walk shouldn’t miss from your daily routine.
In this phase you can lose:
- 1 – 3 lbs for 2 days spent in the Attack Phase;
- 3 – 5 lbs for 3 days spent in the Attack Phase;
- 4 – 6 lbs for 5 days spent in the Attack Phase;
- More than 5 lbs for 7-10 days spent in the Attack Phase.
During this phase you should alternate with protein-only days with vegetable days, until the target goal weight is achieved. Fruits and starchy vegetables are not permitted. A healthy weight loss is about two pounds per week. Dr. Dukan recommends alternating a day of pure proteins with one of protein and vegetables, but 5 days of proteins followed by 5 of proteins and vegetables or 2 proteins- 5 proteins and vegetables are other options.
After reaching the target weight you have to do anything possible to maintain it. Except from the usual proteins and vegetables, you can have one piece of low-sugar fruit, one portion of cheese and two slices of whole grain bread per day and an extra serve of carbohydrates, such as rice or pasta per week. One day a week of eating protein-only is still required. You stay on this phase for 10 days for every kilogram you lost.
This phase sets the plan for a lifelong diet including:
- One ‘protein only’ day per week;
- Exercising regularly;
- Eating three tablespoons of oat bran a day.
Since 80% from the 5,000 people who followed the diet regained all the weight they had lost within three years, this stabilization phase is very important to always follow.
Pros Dukan Diet:
1. You can really lose weight during this diet, and especially in the Attack Phase, when the average loss is half of a kilogram per day.
2. As long as you stick with 100 foods list, you don’t have to count calories exactly and you don’t have to control the size of your portions.
3. You don’t have to buy other foods than those used each day.
4. In the last two phases, you can indulge once in a while in your favorite.
1. high cholesterol, because you’ll be eating lots of red meat and eggs;
2. constipation – the diet is low on fibers;
3. headaches, nausea, irritable and moody states, lack of energy;
4. ketosis, as a result of burning fat, instead carbohydrates; ketosis is associated to bad breath, a metallic taste and strong urine odor;
5. restrictive diet only to a specific types of foods and food groups;
6. suitable for meat eaters only.