Can we improve our sex life through diet?
Eating a delicious meal and the satisfaction from having sex both activate pleasure receptors in the brain. But what should we eat to have a better sex life?
A lot of people, women especially, have libido problems and they are unable to experience pleasure from sexual intercourse. Due to some psychological problems (traumas, lack of attraction) or to some physical conditions (illnesses, poor lubrication, inadequate stimulation, infections, the use of some medications, low testosterone levels), they lack sexual desire.
If you are among those people and if you want to improve your libido, you can follow a diet for a better sex life.
What does a better sex life diet mean?
1. A healthier heart – Lynn Fischer, who has promoted a better sex diet, believes that if you want to have better sex, you have to take care of your heart. Even if it is about the emotional state – you have to overcome your psychological problems to enjoy sex, or if it is about the muscular organ inside your chest, you have to take really good care of your heart. Her opinion is that both men and women of all ages need good blood flow to experience sexual pleasure. From this point of view, you will have to choose foods which are good for your heart and blood vessels. You should eat a lot of fruits, grains, vegetables, legumes and a little meat and fats. The daily calorie intake structure should be 10% calories from fat, 5% from saturated fat, and 75% from carbohydrates.
2. Eating lots of aphrodisiacs – It is already known that certain edibles heighten sexual pleasure. Some of these foods are:
- Bananas – they contain B vitamins, which are the key for converting carbohydrates into energy and are involved into the manufacture of sex.
- Celery and truffles – Raw celery and truffles contain the male hormone androsterone, which can act as a pheromone to trigger female attraction a few truffle shavings to his meal.
- Dark Chocolate– Chocolate triggers the release of feel-good endorphins. It also provides small amounts of anxiety-quelling tryptophan, arousing caffeine, and a few substances — anandamide and theobromine — that, in large quantities, work like a psychedelic drug and an opiate, respectively.
- Flax seeds – They influence the testosterone levels having a libido-boosting effect and they also contain essential fatty acids, including omega-3 and omega-6, which are good for your hormone level.
- Ginger – It stimulates the circulatory system, increasing blood flow to the genitals
- Honey – it provides instant energy and fuel for working muscles, is rich in B vitamins, which are needed for testosterone production, and it contains boron, which helps the body metabolize and use.
- Oysters – They contain high levels of zinc, a mineral required for the production of testosterone.
3. Avoid specific edibles:
- Soda – Soda was related to depression and diet soda are even worse, because specific sweeteners such as aspartame can affect the neurotransmitter dopamine, which is necessary in the proper amounts for normal sexual behavior
- Canned soup – Excessive dietary sodium and low potassium intake could lead to hypertension (or high blood pressure) which could result in diminished blood flow to certain parts of the body, including sexual organs.
- Monosodium glutamate – It causes headaches, respiratory issues, depression and cognitive issues and cardiovascular concerns and over time it can cause a decline in libido and overall sexual satisfaction.
- Processed soy foods – They contain phytoestrogen compounds that could potentially disrupt normal endocrine function, affecting hormone balance in both men and women.
- Alcohol – Chronic alcohol consumption can be particularly detrimental to men as it decreases testosterone production.
4. Use herbs to boost libido; here are the most efficient:
- Horny Goat Weed increases testosterone and sperm production. It improves the libido of both men and women.
- Chives contain minerals required for the creation of sex hormones.
- Damiana, a popular aphrodisiac plant for women, contains alkaloids that stimulate the nerves and sexual organs, enhancing sexual pleasure.
- Kava kava helps to deal with anxiety and nervousness.
- Wild yam contains a natural steroid that gives vigor to love making and rejuvenates.
Lynn Fisher- “The Better Sex DIET”