Are you too skinny? Here you are some rules to gain weight
For some people, being too skinny feels as bad as being too fat for others. They try desperately to add a few pounds to their thin figures, but nothing seems to work.
- Make sure that you are not the victim of some disease which causes weight loss- Tuberculosis, cancer, hormonal imbalances (hyperthyroidism), HIV, eating disorders are some of the medical condition which can stand between you and a nicely shaped body.
- Eat more calories than you expend – You should be counting how many calories you are already eating each day, and add at least 500 more. Have generously-portioned meals: breakfast, lunch, dinner, and two snacks in between. Try to eat on a regular schedule to be able to control how many calories you have every day.
- Include into your diet high calorie foods – Foods that are low in fat and high in calories and nutrition are most welcomed. Anyway, you should try to stick with the healthy options, such as seeds, nuts, peanut butter, starchy vegetables, dairy products, egg, beans and whole grains, and avoid the foods which are high in saturated fats and simple carbohydrates: burgers, cheesecake, fries, onion rings, candy bars, etc. Proteins and complex carbohydrates should be present in every meal.
- Put some muscles on your bones – Your weight gain program must include some fitness exercises, which can help you build some muscles. Try gain weight exercises such as twist curls, squats, dips, etc. Do compound exercises and lift weights.
- Choose dinner wisely – You should serve dinner wisely before heading to sleep. Stay away from foods high in saturated fats like processed meats and high-fat cuts of meat and eat healthy proteins (skinless chicken, fish, turkey, beans, nuts, seeds, and tofu).
- Include delicious snacks into your eating plan – You can indulge yourself with some high calorie, but healthy snacks, such as: smoothies, almond butter, peanuts butter, nuts, fruit juices, soy milk, protein bars etc.
- Try dietary supplements for gaining weight – They are usually carb-enriched supplements. Thesesupplements should be taken only in consultation with a doctor/ dietician, because some of these products may contain hidden ingredients that can be harmful for you. The way your body processes these supplements depends on what your body’s needs are.
- Whet your appetite – If you do not feel like eating when you should, you can stimulate your appetite trying one of the options: taking a little walk before eating, choosing your favorite foods, jazzing up foods with spices and herbs to enhance flavor, limiting the quantity of liquids drank etc.
- Set attainable goals – Just like weight loss, weight gain is a process, which may last longer than you wish. The rate at which a person needs to gain weight depends on their health goals and current health status, and a physician or nutritionist can help establish a reasonable goal weight.
- Get support – It’s important to have a strong support system throughout the process of gaining weight. A nutritionist can always help dieters to achieve their goals and to cope with the emotional issues that might arise from bodily changes.