Antioxidants and its Benefits
What are antioxidants? These are naturally occurring substances like Vitamin A and Vitamin C that are found in fruits and vegetables. It prevents the body from the aging process, heart diseases and cancer as well as skin diseases. Furthermore, antioxidants are good for the holistic health.
Best Antioxidants for the Skin:
Sun skin creams and lotions are rich in vitamin E and this is so, because the vitamin E in these cosmetics prevents the damage of cell membranes. It is believed that when vitamin E is applied before sun exposure, it helps in lessening the skin redness, swelling and sun burn. A vitamin supplement that suits your skin is a good choice, as an antioxidant. Wheat germ, safflower, corn, soybean oil, mangoes, nuts and broccoli are some foods that are rich in vitamin. Similarly, there are Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) and Vitamin A (1st antioxidant used for anti-aging), that one can use to control aging process. While vitamin C rich foods are cereals, beef, poultry, and fish vitamin A is found abundantly in potatoes, carrots, milk, egg yolks, and cheese.
A compound named polyphenols, found in the green tea is regarded as one of the best antioxidants. If you consume green tea in your daily life then keep doing that, as green tea is not only good for your skin care, it also helps in controlling free radical damage.
Proanthocyanidin, a chemical found in the grapefruit and grape seed extracts is known to have great effect on the healing of wounds and preventing the fat cell damage.
Some other best antioxidants for skin are as follows:
* Copper Peptides
* Dimethylaminoethanol (DMAE)
Antioxidants for Cancer:
Blue berries and strawberries are the fruits that are filled with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Proanthocyanidins, is the chemical present in the berries, that helps in reducing the effects of cancer.
The most common and world’s oldest known herbal medicine, garlic is used as a supplement in the tea. According to studies, regular consumption of garlic slows and prevents the threat of cancer.
Tomatoes contain lycopene, a chemical that helps in reducing the risk of prostrate cancer in men. Some studies have also shown that lycopene can also help in the prevention of breast cancer.
Choosing The Right Foods
Taking control of what you buy can help control what you eat. The next time you go shopping, choose the right food to toss into the cart. Choose low calorie produce, soups, sauces, condiments, beverages and desserts to stuff in your pantry. Choosing the right foods will help you fight the fat and keep you from being overweight. Here are some foods that are low in calories and will definitely help you stay healthy and in shape.
1. Fruits and veggies. The more fruits and vegetables you eat, the better. Just avoid packaged fruits that contain added sugar.
2. Choose salad dressings and canned products that are low in fat or oil free, low in calorie and low in sugar and sodium. Remember to read the label before buying anything.
3. Buy desserts that are fat free and low in calories like yogurt or sorbet.
4. Buy light breads like oatmeal, wheat, rye, multigrain, sourdough or Italian bread.
5. Get whole wheat and whole grain pastas, brown rice, whole wheat couscous, quinoa, cornmeal, millet and bulgur.
6. Get protein rich foods like beans, peas, lentils, chickpeas, tofu, bean curd and seafood like fish and shrimp.