A Flawless Face Can Be Yours!
My skin began to defy me back in junior high, when pimples appeared in my life, and did not leave until my junior year of high school. Since I never wore sunscreen and subjected my skin to hours under the menacing sun, my skin has brown spots that reveal my dirty little secret. My skin is ruddy; the red ravages my cheeks. Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like I’m blushing. Instead, I look like I got slapped in the face.
But am I complaining? No, and I’m not crazy. I used to make myself sick trying the latest and greatest product to make my face look perfect. After thousands of dollars later, I realized that perfect skin would never be mine. But I also realized that I didn’t have to suffer anymore: make-up to the rescue!
1. Clean your face with a mild face cleanser. You don’t need anything fancy, but definitely stay away from soap, since soap ingredients can be very drying. Classics like Cetaphil or Neutrogena Deep Clean Facial Cleanser are affordable and get the job done.
2. Apply a moisturizer on your face. This will keep your face soft and your foundation will glide more smoothly over your skin. Use the right moisturizer for your face — that means understanding what your skin type is. Dry skin requires a hydrating formula that will prevent flaking and tightness. A moisturizer specifically made for dry skin can also help your face weather the elements, whether it’s excessive humidity or extreme dry air. Oily skin can also be problematic. Look for moisturizers that are oil-free. Many women have combination skin — a mixture of dry and oily skin. There are many moisturizers that are dedicated to combating combination skin. If your skin is sensitive, look for moisturizing products that are gentle to your skin and are hypoallergenic. A good, reliable moisturizer that will keep your face hydrated is Clinque’s Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion.
3. Apply SPF 15 or higher. This is an important step in any beauty routine. The sun can wreak havoc on your skin and cause a lot of problems, the most fatal of which is skin cancer. Apply sunscreen to your face and neck. I like to use sun protection lotion specifically for the face. While you’re at it, don’t forget to use sunscreen on body parts that will be exposed to the sun: arms, legs, feet, and shoulders. A cloudy day does not mean harmful UVA/UVB rays are not penetrating your skin. Sun protection like Neutrogena’s Age Shield Face will protect your precious skin.
4. Use a primer to keep make-up on your face longer. Primers will also help to fill in unevenness and pores, allowing foundation to go on more smoothly. This will also help hydrate your skin, and you’ll notice a difference in your skin’s texture. Use primers like Smashbox Photofinish Foundation Primer or Revlon’s Beyond Natural Smoothing Primer.
5. Use concealer. This helps to conceal blemishes and dark circles under your eyes. When choosing a concealer, choose a color one shade lighter than your skin color. Use a concealer brush to apply and blend well. Bobbi Brown’s Concealer Kit can help you hide those dreaded dark circles and other imperfections.
6. Use a foundation that is a medium or full coverage foundation. Products that reflect light will help your skin appear brighter and lighter. Just like moisturizers, find a foundation that fits your skin type. Also make sure you get the right color for your face. You don’t want a color that is too dark or too light — your face will look odd and disjointed from the rest of your body. Find a color that blends well with your skin color. When testing foundation colors, apply a little bit to your jaw line. You’ll be able to see how well the color blends into your face. Testing foundation on the back of your hand or the back of your wrist can be disastrous, as these body parts usually are not the same color as your face. Foundations like bareMinerals SPF 15 Foundation can perfect your skin instantly.
7. Use brushes or sponges to get the foundation in areas like your nose or below your eyes. If you use a powder foundation, invest in a kabuki brush — this will help you to evenly apply your foundation. Sponges work well to apply liquid foundation. Brushes like Sephora’s Kabuki Brush will help achieve a flawless complexion.
8. Use a skin luminizer to create a dewy complexion. Your skin will look healthy and radiant. Some popular luminizers are Benefit Cosmetics High Beam and bareMinerals All-Over Face Color.
You don’t have to be a celebrity to have great-looking skin. Have the complexion you’ve always dreamed of by choosing the right products for your face.