7 Summer Foods to Keep You Cool During the Summer
The hot sun is beating the hell out of everything, what are your best chances to fight against it?
Stay indoors, turn on the AC and grab your TV remote and a bowl of chips, perhaps the best way to relax! The only problem is that we fitness people just hate that kind of idea. It will only make you weak. Rather take on the fight head on with the sun god with some quality foods that beat the summer heat. We discussed aam panna and it works pretty much nicely, but there is more, much more that one can do in terms of summer diet, you just need to explore well.
1) Watermelon – Most foods with good amount of water content is good for the summer. Rich in vitamin A and C, and contains magnesium and potassium. The calorie content is low, so it is a good weight loss food as well. This is true for more foods that are high in water content, they keep you well hydrated and does not contribute to your weight.
2) Coconut Water – When the coconut is young, the un-ripe coconut contains water inside it. It is very healthy, contains a lot of minerals and has electrolyte that makes it an excellent sports drink. On a hot summer day, a glass of coconut water can do wonders to your health. It is very low on calorie and sugar but tastes too good.
3) Lassi – It is made from yogurt and is particularly good in the summers. Easy to prepare, just take some yogurt and put it in the mixer, mix some ripe mangoes, some water and a bit of sugar. Mix it well and it is ready. The taste is just brilliant and all you will need is some ice cubes perhaps.
4) Aam Panna – We discussed this one in details in the previous post. Aam Panna is great but since only un-ripe mangoes can be used in this, so you better get them while you can. March and April are basically the best months for this.
5) Yogurt – It is made by fermenting milk with bacteria, once done it looks thick and becomes particularly good in taste. Yogurt is great for health, with iodine, calcium, phosphorous and much other important nutrition; yogurt is arguably the healthiest snack available. It can boost your immunity, make your life longer, keep cholesterol in control and do much more for your good health.
6) Lemonade – Take a glass of water, squeeze a half cut lemon and a spoon full of sugar into it and perhaps some ice cubes and your lemonade is ready. This is perhaps the easiest to make on the list and has plenty of health benefits. It prevents dehydration, boosts immunity, keeps the weight off and fights hypertension. So all in all an excellent summer drink.
7) Butter Milk – After you boil milk and let it cool, you can see cream on the top of the milk. Take this cream, collect daily as it will require quite a bit. Then churn it well. This process will remove butter from cream and the liquid left behind is butter milk.
Those of you who are against sugar might try to replace sugar with honey, but otherwise it is all healthy and great for keeping you dehydrated during the hot summer season. Apart from these Indian spices like Amla, Avocados, etc. fresh fruits and green vegetables, green tea and grilled foods like grilled fish or grilled tomatoes are great to beat the summer heat.