4 Dangerous Products to Banish From Your Home
Scientists are discovering more every day about things that are bad for our health. Unfortunately, some of these things can be found in household products that we all use readily around our homes.
Fortunately, once you know which products are harmful, you can easily find nontoxic alternatives.
Air fresheners are a primary source of volatile organic chemicals. They have been associated with a vast array of health problems, including asthma, breathing difficulties, infant illness, and migraines. Long-term exposure can even affect hormones and reproductive health.
These products can lead to poor indoor air quality. That poor-quality air would then be circulated by your HVAC system, which could exacerbate health problems and damage the system if it’s not maintained properly.
You can keep your home smelling fresh naturally using essential oils. Diffusers, burners, homemade natural sprays, simmer pot recipes, and cut flowers are all great options. Good ventilation is also important to keep your air fresh.
You may not suspect such a simple product to be toxic, but many window cleaners contain a powerful solvent called 2-butoxyethanol. This chemical, which may be listed under other names, can cause sore throats if inhaled, but more seriously has been linked to health issues such as liver and kidney damage with prolonged use. Ammonia and phthalates may also be present in commercial window cleaning products.
Unfortunately, manufacturers are not required to list all ingredients of cleaning products on the labels, so look for green window cleaning products. Always use any of these products in a well-ventilated area, ideally with the window you are cleaning open. You could also switch to the natural alternative of diluted vinegar, which is much more economical, too.
Moth balls are designed to protect clothing by repelling and killing moths, so it’s not really surprising that some of the chemicals that do this can also be harmful to humans and domestic pets.
Napthalene and paradichlorobenzene are both found in moth balls and are released as a toxic vapor. Prolonged exposure can lead to nausea, vomiting, red blood cell damage, or even cancer.
Natural alternatives will also repel moths. You can use cedar chips or blocks or make your own sachets using dried herbs.
Black plastic kitchen utensils contain diaminodiphenylmethane, also known as DDM. These are generally considered safe for normal use, but if your utensils melt, they release this carcinogen into your food.
Nonstick cooking pans contain perfluorooctanoic acid, or PFOA, which has been shown to cause cancer. The coating from the pans can chip off when heated during cooking, and can then be ingested along with your food.
Both of these products are easy to replace with nontoxic alternatives. Stainless-steel versions of both utensils and pans are readily available and will do the job just as well without the health risks.
Put Health First
We all strive to have pleasant, clean homes. But the health of our family, and our pets, is much more important.
It might seem frightening that such simple, readily available products could be harmful. However, with a bit of research, it’s easy to avoid them and make healthier choices while still maintaining a beautiful home.