12 Health Benefits of Coconut Water
If you’re from the Philippines, like I am, coconut water isn’t difficult to find. It’s almost around every corner, you can get lots of it for a dollar, and you can have it all year round.
On the other hand, if you’re from a non-tropical country, coconut water can be expensive and difficult to find. However, the advantages of coconut water truly do pay back; and if you are able to find good coconut water that isn’t laced with preservatives, you won’t be sorry.
Coconut water is the liquid that comes from young coconuts. When coconuts are first broken open, the water is collected and sometimes served with shredded coconut meat. Coconut water has been studied and used for many years as a tonic. But does it really work?
So why is coconut water so popular, and what can you get from coconut water? Here are a dozen health benefits of coconut water that you might want to consider as you ponder on getting this cool, delicately flavored drink.
- Coconut water can give you an energy boost – Coconut water contains several essential ions, including sodium and potassium. Both these ions are available in energy drinks, which serve to keep your energy level high. As you sweat, your body’s ion stores are depleted. Coconut water can substitute for low sodium sports drinks drinks, since it has good levels of both these essential ions.
- Coconut water can control blood pressure – Coconut water might be high in potassium, but it is low in sodium. It can provide your body with essential ions without overloading your body with dangerous amounts of sodium. High sodium levels in the body can lead to hypertension. Coconut water, therefore, can give you ions without playing around with your blood pressure. This, however, is just one way to contain your blood pressure – a whole lifestyle change is still necessary!
- Coconut water won’t raise blood sugar levels – Have you ever craved sweet drinks on a hot day, only to pull back when you realize that you’ll just build up the sugar in your blood? You don’t need to worry when drinking coconut water: coconut water is low in calories and still quenches your thirst. It has some flavor so it doesn’t taste bland like water, but it isn’t loaded with sugars so that you can end up in a sugar crash hours later.
- Coconut water might aid in anti-aging! – Coconut water has some enzymes that early tests show might battle the signs of aging. This might be due to the fact that as we grow older, our skin loses some of its moisture and our bodies take longer to assimilate water. Coconut water can help slow this down by encouraging the absorption of water, vitamins, and essential nutrients that can help keep skin – and other organs – moisturized.
- Coconut water can help stop diarrhea – Coconut water has been used for years as a water substitute in countries that do not have fresh water sources. Coconut water is rich in electrolytes and essential nutrients, and is even better than the universally recommended oral rehydration salts.
- Coconut water can aid in digestion – Coconut water is also rich in enzymes such as various phosphatases, which can help aid the digestive process.
- Coconut water can give your immune system a boost – Coconut water is rich in minerals such as calcium, iron, and magnesium, all of which contribute to a stronger immune system. For instance, your body needs calcium to keep your immune system running. Once calcium stores are depleted, your body could turn to the calcium stored in your bones. Coconut water gives your body a readily-available source of calcium.
- Coconut water is rich in B-complex vitamins – Your body needs B-complex vitamins in order to replenish cells, keep your immune system running, keep your brain functioning, and healing wounds. You will often need to take a lot of B-complex vitamins, especially if you are active and athletic. Coconut water has B-complex vitamins that can help you take care of this requirement.
- Coconut water can help relieve you of constipation – Why would you be constipated? For one, your body might lack water, as well as essential ions that will help you release toxins from your body. Coconut water has essential ions and high water content that can help relieve constipation without resulting in diarrhea.
- Coconut water might help in alleviating skin problems – Coconut water has several vitamins and enzymes which, according to anecdotal evidence, help alleviate skin problems and leads to a healthier skin. Some people have reported applying coconut water to their skin to get rid of diseases such as eczema and acne.
- Coconut water might help in weight loss and management – Sugar could well be your biggest enemy when it comes to weight loss. However, you can still get rehydrated without resorting to sugary drinks by taking coconut water. This way, you give your body a boost of energy to keep exercising without providing it sugar that it might end up storing anyway.
- Coconut water can lower your core body temperature – What happens when you don’t sweat or cool off? If it’s too hot, your body’s temperature stays warm, preventing it from functioning properly. Coconut water is efficient at cooling your core body temperature. It is as good as water, but if you don’t have water on hand, coconut water will suffice. This way, you don’t “overheat” and you can still function even when it’s deathly hot out!
You can buy coconut water straight from your grocery store, or if you’re feeling a bit more generous, you can go take a vacation in a tropical country and drink coconuts straight from the husk! I’d love to invite you to the sunny islands of the Philippines, where coconuts grow all year long, and where we have coconut water every day!
Coconut water might have been used for many years, but it is slowly gaining fame as more researchers study it. Keep watching the news for the latest on coconut water, and you might soon find a miracle tonic sitting on the shelves of the store nearest you!