12 Health Benefits of Beets
They stain your clothes, they make everything look red, and they aren’t exactly the yummiest thing to have on their own. But have you ever tried them on salads? Have you had them with a few spices, or as part of your main course? You’ll be surprised to find that beets are actually worth a lot and can help you stay healthy!
A lot of people might dismiss them as disgusting, but with good cooking and a good set of spices, you’ll find that beets can be flavorful. Healthful diets have a good amount of beets in them – and this comes as no surprise: the deep, rich red of beets points to its many vitamins and antioxidants, all of which can help boost your health.
How do these vitamins and antioxidants change your body for the better? Find out with these top reasons:
Health Benefits of Beets
1. They can satisfy your hunger without loading you with fats – Beets have no saturated or trans fats, and are extremely low calorie, but they can be filling. You can eat sweet beets, which, by the way, taste great – and not feel hungry afterward. You can keep meeting those sugar cravings without guilt!
Moreover, beets are inexpensive. This means that you can still meet a sugar craving without spending on sweets or even fried foods! And because beets don’t have a particular season in which they thrive, you can have them all year and they’ll still taste great – and help your body, too.
2. They can give you a boost of energy – Beets are high in unprocessed carbohydrates. True, you can also eat processed foods and get a big dose of fuel, but you’ll also be loading yourself with preservatives. Beets can give you a lot of energy and they can provide you with a boost without making you feel sluggish afterward.
3. They can aid in digestion – Beets are high in fiber, which can help you digest your food better. A good dose of fiber can help you get rid of toxins from your body. Fiber can also help your body absorb nutrients properly.
4. They can give you an immune system boost – Beets are high in minerals and vitamins C and A, as well as B complex vitamins. These are essential vitamins that will help keep your body safe from various infectious agents, not just by assisting your immune system, but by providing you with vitamins that protect cells as well.
5. They can hasten the production and regeneration of cells – Beets are high in folic acid, which can help maintain your cells and aid in their regeneration. Folic acid is needed for cells that require a boost of healing, such as those damaged in an accident. Folic acid is also important for nursing moms, and moms-to-be.
6. They can keep cancer from occurring or spreading – Studies have shown that the high mineral and antioxidant content of beets can help guard against cancer. Colon cancer has been shown to be quite susceptible to antioxidants. These studies, however, are in their early stages, but they nevertheless show that antioxidant-rich beets hold a lot of promise!
7. They can help you fight heart disease – Beets are low in calories and fat, can kill hunger pangs, and have a lot of vitamins. These can help prevent heart disease by preventing you from eating high-fat, high-sodium snacks, and keep your body healthy. They have also been found to lower blood pressure.
8. Beet leaves can help your breath stay fresh – Believe it or not, even beet leaves have their own therapeutic properties! Beet leaves have long been used to counter bad breath. So chew away, just in case you don’t have tic-tacs handy.
9. Beets can help cleanse your body – Thanks to a main antioxidant, Betacyanin, beets can cleanse your body. Antioxidants can help you flush out toxins from your body, strengthening your body’s ability to fight diseases – and giving a much needed boost to your overworked liver and gall bladder!
10. They’re useful as anti-aging agents! – Because beets hasten and encourage the growth of new, healthy cells, beets have promise in the anti-aging department. They have been used to treat wrinkled skin. They are also used in many different diets in order to cleanse the body of toxins that can hasten cell aging. Beets give your body the chance to regenerate cells, hastening healing inside and out.
11. They can help clean your skin – Moreover, beets, with their antioxidants and healing properties, can be used to treat skin diseases such as abscesses, acne, and even boils. Some doctors have used beets for ages for this purpose.
12. They can keep your eyes healthy – Because beets are rich in carotenoids and Vitamin A, they can help prevent macular degeneration and other diseases of aging that affect your eyes.
You can eat beets raw, either with your salad, or chilled in the fridge. you can boil them, saute them, or steam roast them. You can even put them in the juicer, add carrots, apple juice, and other fruits, and have a fruit smoothy that is both nutritious and delicious.
If you’re feeling adventurous, try Borscht, a vegetable soup from Europe that is made of beets. Look for recipes online, and you’ll soon be enjoying a bowl of hearty soup.
These are just a few ways that beets can make you healthy. With even more research, we’ll find more great uses and more health contributions for this wonder root crop!