10 Foods to Eat This Summer That Will Provide Optimum Health
There is no secret to eating more healthily except cutting out processed food and unhealthy fast foods. The best thing for your body is natural and produced directly from the Earth. This is mainly due to the fact that processed food makes you work harder to digest it, using more energy, without giving you the nutrients you need, leaving you hungry and malnourished.
The summer is a time when deliciously juicy fruits and vegetables are plentiful. This is the perfect opportunity for you to enjoy consuming them by the truckload to significantly increase the health levels in your body. Certain foods, namely several fruits and vegetables, are hailed as super foods due to the vitamins and minerals they carry in abundance. But which ones should you be choosing in particular?
10 Super Foods to Consume for Optimum Health
1. Carrots – Carrots contain very high levels of vitamin A and are renowned for being particularly good for the skin. Yellow bell peppers and mangoes are also great summer vegetables/fruits for doing this.
2. Tomatoes – Reduce the chance of cancer in the lungs, bladder, and skin due to lycopene. They also reduce the chance of heart disease. Pink grapefruit, papaya, and watermelon are also great alternatives that do similar jobs and make a lovely juicy snack for summer.
3. Apples – Red apples in particular are known to keep the heart functioning well. This is where the adage ‘an apple a day keeps the doctor away’ comes from.
4. Blueberries – Blueberries are not only a delectably juicy summer fruit, they are also bursting with antioxidants, which help to prevent diabetes and cancer. They are also said to be good for the brain. Alternatives include prunes, purple grapes, and acai berries.
5. Spinach – Spinach is rich in iron, proteins, antioxidants, omega fatty acids, and calcium. It helps to keep blood flowing correctly and to keep bones healthy and strong. Bok choy, kale, and romaine also all do similar jobs.
6. Oats – Oats are full of fiber and good carbohydrates. They keep you fuller for longer and help the digestive tract and prevent heart disease.
7. Greek Yogurt – Not only containing high level of protein, Greek yogurt also contain probiotics which help to keep a trimmer figure for that beach body.
8. Eggs – Eggs contain high levels of lutein which keeps you eyes fit and healthy. The yolks of eggs also contain high levels of iron which results in stronger and healthy hair and skin.
9. Beans – Beans are often called ‘brain food’. Bursting with goodness, they help memory function and preserving brain power.
10. Walnuts – Walnuts are full of omega-3 fatty acids which are very good for the body. They help to increase brain activity as well as libido. Sesame seeds, almonds, and hazelnuts also work.
A Sample Super food Meal Plan for Optimal Health
Breakfast: For breakfast you want to try and give yourself something that will last through the morning to prevent the need to snack on high calorie foods. Also, you want to wake yourself up for the day by feeding your body something wholesome and good.
Why not try combining oats, blueberries, and Greek yogurt. The oats will keep your full with their slow-releasing energy, while helping to get the digestive system moving. The blueberries are full of antioxidants to sharpen the brain and to give your skin an extra glow. The Greek yogurt, which not only tastes delicious and brings the meal together, will give you a high level of protein for energy. You can always team this with a boiled egg for some morning lutein and to increase iron levels.
Morning Snack: A mid morning snack may be needed to stave off hunger pangs until a late lunch. With an oat-filled breakfast, this may not always be necessary. However, try keeping a small lunch box with apples and carrots in. One chopped up apple and one chopped up carrot will not only give you a little boost before lunch, but will increase your vitamin A levels and help your heart to function correctly.
Lunch: At lunch time you want to make sure you have something wholesome and healthy that will keep you going throughout the afternoon, while also boosting your health score. Avocado and black bean wraps are perfect for this. Use whole grain tortilla wraps and mix in an avocado, which is good for heart disease, blood pressure, anti-aging, and blood sugar, with a can black beans. Add a home made tomato salsa to add an extra kick of flavour as well as capitalizing on some summer lunchtime lycopene.
Dinner: After a big health drive day, you may be craving a little comfort food. This can still be healthy too. Try baking a spinach and kefir flatbread pizza. Spinach increases iron and protein levels, whereas kefir, a fermented milk product, is a rich source of vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. Bake the base using wholegrain to increase its health benefits and to keep you full for the rest of the evening. Sprinkle walnuts on top for a crunchy finish and an extra dose of omega-3.
Eating healthily does not have to be too difficult, especially in the summer. The abundance of nature’s delights means you can enjoy overly tasty meals while driving yourself to reach optimal health levels.